Queniborough C.E Primary School seeks to ensure that all their children receive a full-time education which maximises opportunities for each child to realise his/her full potential. We expect all children on roll to attend every day when the school is in session, as long as they are fit and healthy to do so.
When a child has enrolled at school, parents/carers have a legal responsibility to ensure their child attends every day. It is important that children arrive punctually for the start of the school day. Registration is at 8.40am
Under the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006, the governing body is responsible for ensuring the school keeps an attendance register that records which pupils are present at the start of the morning and afternoon session’s. This register will also indicate whether an absence was ‘authorised’ or ‘unauthorised’
Parents/carers are legally responsible for ensuring their child’s regular attendance at school in accordance with section 444 of the Education Act 1996. They should ensure that:
• Their child attends and is punctual.
• They inform the school of the reason for any absence by telephone call on each morning of absence. The school will then make the decision to either authorise or unauthorise the absence. The school telephone number is 0116 2606700
• They understand that holidays in term time are not an entitlement and can only be authorised in exceptional circumstances.
• Medical and dental appointments are arranged outside school time wherever possible.
• They provide the school with up to date information regarding diagnosed medical conditions, which may affect attendance.
• They provide the school with up to date contact details.
• Strive to provide a welcoming, caring environment whereby each member of the school community feels valued and secure.
• Establish an effective system to recognise the efforts of children to improve their attendance and timekeeping and will challenge the behaviour of those children and parents who give a low priority to attendance and punctuality.
• Raise concerns about the attendance of pupils with parents and carers
Registration is a legal requirement and creates an orderly start to the school day. Children arriving after the registers have been taken will receive a late mark.
The school recognise that there may be times when a child requires exceptional leave during term time for short periods. In these circumstances, parents/carers are asked to complete the ‘Leave of Absence Form’ to request the absence. The Head teacher on an individual basis will consider these requests. Parents will be informed in writing about whether this has been agreed or not.
To view our attendance policy please click here